Moving to a new city at the end of last summer, I was both excited and terrified at the idea of what my life was going to look like. I was 39 and my whole life was being transformed with this move:
I was going from…
- a household of 7 to a household of 3.
- working two jobs giving me a combined 40 hour work week to working only 20 hours.
- working out of my home most of the time to working from home 100% of the time.
- 20+ hours a week volunteering to zero.
- hubby traveling almost every week for work to almost no travel (WIN!!)
- hubby working from home when he was home to having an hour commute everyday.
- living in the suburbs to city-living
- having all of my kids in one place to being in 3 states.
- having a lot of extended family near-by to none.
- having no time for hobbies to having all the time in the world with no focus.
- everyone knowing me and my family to not knowing anyone.
That’s a lot of change all at once… and while part of me was super excited at this change of season, the other part of me was frozen stiff, afraid to make the wrong move or go in the wrong direction. Maybe you can relate? Sometimes when the possibilities are endless, it’s really hard to know where to begin.
So, I began to dream again… something I had stopped doing years ago in the chaos of my oh-my-goodness-I-have-five-kids-and-have-completely-lost-myself life, and it all led me to extreme focus as I was about to start my 40th year of life in October 2015.
I’m a life coach and, darn it, I needed some GOALS!!!
It was time to coach the coach.
I went back-to-basics and began by just brain-storming about all the things I had been thinking of doing, or starting, or being, or creating, or visiting, or living… and on December 19, 2015 THIS list was born in my bullet journal (do YOU #bujo??? It’s my favorite thing ever and has completely changed my life!)
My 40 goals before 41 (October 13, 2016)
(UPDATES as of 3/9/2016 in PURPLE)
- Get to a size 8 (from a size 12) (Still a 12 but getting more fit!)
- Maintain 15,000 steps per day (I get there often, but not everyday yet! Hoping to be there by April!)
New website(SmidtsInStLouis… WHAT!?!?! Here we are!)
- Work out 6x/ week (I’m at 3x/ week now)
1 date night with Craig per week(YES! every week, without fail!)
- 1 sewing project/ month (What should I make?)
- All green cleaning products
- All natural cosmetic products
- No more plastic in my kitchen
- Plant a container garden (HELP!!)
- Go to a neighborhood meeting
- Join neighborhood association (TGS)
- Do another llama trek
- Really learn how to use my camera
- Start book writing (What should I write about?)
1 community social event/ month(Easy-peasy! One of my favorite goals…)
- Make capsule wardrobe
- Complete 1 house goal/ month (need to work this into budget: FPU)
Begin/ walk out snowball debt: Financial Peace University(On month 2 and have knocked off 4 debit items!)
- Learn Adobe Illustrator (Just downloaded a free trial…)
- Talk to each of my kids 1x/ week (working on this… they are all so busy!)
- Maintain 5 pen pals (Who wants to be my pen pal??)
Send birthday cards to family/ friends
- Explore St Louis (As often as we can!)
- Train Luna (hand signs) (Looking into getting local help here)
- Learn 3 new crafts (What should I learn??)
- Print my pictures (…and even hang some up! I DO have some Luna pics printed)
- Mentor locally (Need to get more intentional about who specifically)
- Ride my bike or walk wherever/ whenever possible (I plan to get better with this as the weather warms up!)
Go to a hockey game
- Learn to braid hair (Mine and Vicky’s)
- Watch classic movies (Suggestions of what I should watch?)
Shop local as much as possible 1 Vicky date/ week(SOOO much fun!)
- Learn more about essential oils
Bible in a year plan(never missed a day!) Join an August Gate community group(Tuesday nights and loving it!)
- Volunteer SVP: South City Prep (Setting up meeting)
- Build legacy: Love boldly! (always!!)
***House Goals List: I’m not ready to talk about that yet… UGH! I need to get moving on this!)
So… why am I sharing this? Well, for several reasons. First off, I need some accountability and I thought it would be fun to give you a glimpse into my silly little world over here…. I plan on keeping you updated and even taking you with me as I continue to work on this list. I’m excited to see how it continues to evolve and get crossed off AND how YOU might even impact it!
I really want to encourage you to dream again and know that it is ALWAYS the perfect time to stop, dream and make some great goals! I know what it’s like to feel overwhelmed and in a rut doing the same thing all the time all-the-while completely forgetting what it even is that you WANT to do.
It’s okay, just don’t stay stuck there. Today is a new day for you to start dreaming and thinking about what direction you want to go in. Even if it’s just. one. thing. That’s ONE AMAZING THING that will bring a smile to your face and make you feel alive and new and great and rosy! It’s worth it, I promise.
So, let’s chat! I desperately want to hear your thoughts on ALL OF THE THINGS! Am I nuts? IS it a good list? Anything on there you are aiming for as well? Want more info on how I did/ am doing any of the items? Anything you and I can check off together? Need help making your list? Any suggestions? I want to hear ALL ABOUT IT in a comment below… I have my coffee ready… let’s discuss!